If you are insured within the EU, you have the following options:

  1. If you have a European Insurance Card, please send us a copy of it. You are also welcome to contact us quickly and easily via WhatsApp. The payment is then made with your insurance company 

  2. Otherwise, you can also request a provisional replacement certificate from your insurance company. You will receive this if your insurance covers the payment. Please send us the issued replacement certificate. 

  3. If you have taken out travel insurance abroad, please clarify this with your insurance company. If the insurance company refuses to pay, you will have to pay the costs from our client yourself.